Current UK undergraduate students interested in completing a research assistantship (RA) with the HAMMER Lab to earn 1, 2, or 3 PSY 395/394 credits should complete the PSY 395-394 HAMMER Lab Application. Qualified applicants will be invited for an in-person interview. It is also possible to serve as an RA on a volunteer non-credit basis.
We use a rolling application deadline, such that we start reviewing applications on the review date (March 20th for fall and summer positions; October 20th for spring positions) but continue to accept applications until all positions are filled. Hiring Status Update as of 4/27/22: we are no longer accepting applications for Spring/Summer/Fall 2022 RAs but are accepting applications for Spring 2023 RAs.
The HAMMER Lab members meet on Tuesdays from 4pm to 5pm. RA’s are encouraged to attend if their schedules permit.
Dr. Hammer also offers UK undergraduates a therapy-skills-focused PSY 399/499 internship experience.
What are the Unique Benefits of Being a HAMMER Lab RA?
Here are just a few of the benefits:
- Personal Attention: You will have the opportunity to receive one-on-one mentoring from Dr. Hammer and his graduate students on topics such as how to pick a psychology career and get into graduate school.
- Autonomy: You can work when and where you want, because most of the work can be done on your personal laptop from home at any hour of the day.
- Flexibility: most projects have flexible deadlines, so if you happen to have a busy academic week with lots of tests and projects due, you will have the option make up your Lab hours the following week.
- Advancement: you will have the opportunity (if you desire) to take on more advanced projects after you demonstrate excellence with simpler tasks. For example, many RAs start doing advanced projects such as literature reviews late in their first semester with the Lab. There are also opportunities to be co-authors on conference posters and presentations. Getting this experience builds your CV for graduate school.
- Voice: you will have the opportunity to make your preferences known regarding what specific topics and tasks you’d prefer to get more experience with as a HAMMER Lab RA. We work hard to allow RA’s to get involved in a variety of projects and tasks so that they can grow into well-rounded graduate school and job applicants.
Here’s a 5-minute intro video to what it’s like to be an RA in the Lab:
For more info, you may watch the In-Depth Overview for Potential HAMMER Lab RA’s.